banner1
Join Associated Content http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carine_Nadel

Sunday, August 27, 2006

 

A new coat of paint

Ever notice how one day you look at your home and think: This place could really use a new coat of paint?
That was how I felt about me this week.
Maybe it was the killer migraine that took away a day of work and kept me practically bedridden for two days afterwards. Or, more likely, it was fellow co-workers who said "go home, seeing how crappy you look is giving me a headache!"
They weren't being mean, just honest. Hey, I looked at myself and thought "geez, you actually look exactly as awful you feel". Death warmed over was too nice of a description.
So after the morning's domestic goddess chores were complete, I showered, dressed and booted myself out the door and went to my favorite department store.
I went straight over to the make-up counter where my sister and daughter usually frequent and stated the reason for my visit.
"I am a blank canvas, make me a masterpiece-please!"
A wonderful young woman, named Yvonne, sat me on a nice comfy barstool and looked me over. She asked what kind of a masterpiece did I wish to become? Casual, bold, out of Elle and Cosmo? I went for a combo of casual/bold. At nearly 49, I am so past wanting to be Elle and Cosmo. She made recommendations that made sense for my age and what colors I tend to stock my wardrobe to hold. Nothing extreme, just classy and down to earth.
She was a very good listener. I say that because despite the purple shock of hair she had created for her own look she really came through for me! On her though, I have to say the streak of color looked quite nice.
When she was through with a step, she explained and showed me what she had done, so it would truly be easy for me to do on my own. And given my musical theatre background of old, I am quite sure tomorrow morning, I really can duplicate this new coat of "paint" and look quite good.
I left the station about an hour later with a renewed spring in my step, a new look on my face and a much happier view of myself. I felt so good, I went to my hubby's work and showed off to him! My son was there-he looked at me first.
"Mom, glad to see you're feeling so much better!"
Hubby saw me pass by and stopped talking to his customer. Actually introduced me to them. Hey, what better endorsement is that? Actually proud to introduce me in my powerwalking sweats to complete strangers!
Oh, and he said to make sure I still had it on when he got home. Wow!
Yes, sometimes a new coat of paint can really make a difference to the same old place.

Comments:
Carine, I'm sure you looked great before you even stepped into that store! But I can definitely relate...for me, sometimes a visit to the MAC counter is just what the doctor ordered! Forget Prozac...just give me a Spice lipliner and a new shade of lipstick, and I'm good to go!!
 
Actually after some 10 years of wearing the same look, I really needed that makeover! and you should hear how many people have commented on how nice I look and asked where I bought the makeup!
thanks for reading!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Great post Carine...congratulations on the paint job. I'm sure you'll wear it well!

Ciao...
 
thanks Teri! hope you had a good weekend! I've enjoyed mine, been writing all weekend!
 
Carine, i enjoyed reading your post. you speak my minds and the minds of many women..all of us need a coat of paint on the ouside that would make us feel good inside..don't you think?
 
thank you summer! have you seen some of my other articles this month? My Passion on surewoman.com
When life hands you lemons, and a book review on fabulously40.com
 
Carine, i read both articles you published on surewoman.com and fabulously40.com. i enjoyed reading both..really insightful. i enjoyed reading the stories of the women you listed. maybe i should have submitted my story too!! :) i have posted a new post on my blog, you can take a look at it and comment too if you feel like it, I added a picture link too...by the way, nice looking couple you and Steve..i love seeing pictures of people i connect with on the net, it puts a human face to the blog..you know what i mean.
 
I'm at the day job now, but I'll check it out later! Glad you enjoyed the articles. there's also a book review on fabulously40.com
 
I'm the kind of hombre who passions to try bran-new stuff. Right now I'm making my hold pv panels. I am making it all alone without the help of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only path to acheive that. I came across a really awesome site that explains how to build solar panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps needed for building solar panels.

I'm not sure bout how accurate the data given there iz. If some people over here who have xp with these things can have a see and give your feedback in the site it will be great and I would really appreciate it, cause I extremely take an interest in solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You people rock.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?