banner1
Join Associated Content http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carine_Nadel

Friday, May 11, 2018

 

Bittersweet Weekend

This weekend will be bittersweet.  While I will be thrilled to have breakfast with my daughters and fellow moms, our son, my husband and all the grand kids-I can't help but notice that this will be my first Mother's Day without a mom.

The last 5+ years I haven't been able to be with my mom since we lived in another state, but I made sure to have my sister either buy her flowers, a new orchid plant or something else.  Of course, I'd call.

Now my dad's turning 89 on Tuesday and is in a memory care unit.  I tried to speak with him last week but that was a total failure.  He's in the "angry" stage of the grieving process plus he is not adjusting to life in his new place.  It must be so very scary to go from living in your home with your wife of over 60 years to spending your days with people you don't know, having a schedule you don't like and being encouraged to be with others who are "in the same boat".

It's very hard to know that he's going through so many emotions, forgetting for a time and then remembering the entire events (We think) of the day that changed all our lives forever.

For a person with Alzheimer's disease this must be something akin to the movie "50 First Dates".
Living in a particular moment and not remembering it the next morning.

Yes, this is a very different Mother's Day.  I will enjoy spending breakfast with the Arizona clan but it doesn't change the fact that it appears that I am now the eldest woman on my side of our extremely small family.  Weird.

May all of you be blessed to have your moms with you to celebrate, if you're a mom-pat yourself on the back!  No matter what, know that you have done the very best you could with what life was dealing out at that moment in time.  And gentlemen, just for this day-maybe you could do the cooking?

Comments:
Happy belated mother's day. We've been busy this week getting ready for our first cruise! I was able to visit my mom, who is 85, the previous week. We took her some of my wife's home-made cookies. That is sad when your elders begin passing away. I've lost two uncles in the past year and a half.

Pretty flowers. I really like the roses. But we're going to wait to plant our garden until we get back.
 
Here's hoping for mild seas, beautiful weather and a wonderful maiden cruise for you and Wendy! Hope she had a great Mother's Day!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?