banner1
Join Associated Content http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carine_Nadel

Thursday, March 22, 2018

 

Not Sure I'm Ready

Not sure I'm ready to write on the subject of my mom yet.

A wonderful, formidable woman who made me looked laid back in the "control freak" arena, she put family first, always.

How many people can say they "graduated" from hospice because they wanted to care for their spouse suffering from Alzheimer's disease.  Yet that was my mom.  Mostly blind and hard of hearing, yet beautiful inside and out.  Obviously stubborn.

But at some point, no matter how stubborn you are and how strong you are when a body has had enough, it says, "sorry, you're simply not in charge of this part of life".

Because everyday was an extra blessing, we're okay with her passing.  She no longer has to worry about her stage 5 kidney disease, her heart condition or losing what was left of the little eye sight she had.  No more pain.  And I'm sure trying to keep my dad at home was exhausting.

You know what's been the worst?  Watching dad.  My poor sister and brother-in-law.  They had to bring him to the memory care place and leave.  As you can imagine, he's more than angry.  He also goes in waves of not remembering my mom is gone, to whimpering, crying and refusing to eat, drink, or even get dressed.

The staff is working on helping him adjust.  This poor sweet gentle man who has only been kind lost his only love, his home and his freedom in the blink of an eye.

Does put life into a whole other level of perspective, no?

Comments:
Sincere condolences on the loss of your mom. I'm guessing her toughness must have rubbed off on you, judging on your past blogs. I like the image too of the desert rose blooming to mark her passing. I hope she left you with some fond memories to cherish in the years to come. It is hard to see the ones you love become diminished with age and the ailments that accompany growing older. At my age now, I say daily prayers for a cousin and a brother-in-law, both younger but still my generation, who are facing very serious medical issues from which they may not recover.

I can't say Happy Easter, in keeping with the situation, but still am sending best wishes as the holiday approaches.
 
Thank you Dave. It was definitely something that was "expected but sudden". Can't imagine what my poor dad is going through-he still understands just enough to know things "aren't good"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?