banner1
Join Associated Content http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carine_Nadel

Friday, May 01, 2009

 

Weathering the Storm

So-how’s the weather by you? I’m asking because it seems to me that here in Southern California we have the best possible weather-and yet, we still complain. Now we always end our complaining with “we’re just plain spoiled”.

Even the nastiest of days are better than really great days in other parts of the country. I can’t say that I’m exactly a “seasoned” traveler or anything close, but I’ve been as far north as Alaska and far south as Key West, Florida. I been as far east as New York City and even though I’m as far west as anyone can live on the mainland, I’ve been to Hawaii 3 times.

This being mentioned, I can safely assume the following: You don’t want to visit the south anytime past June-and even then you’re pushing it, unless you love 120 temperatures and 100% humidity. Then my hat’s off to you, cuz I get sore and really cranky.

You don’t want to go to Alaska except in the summer-and I have to tell you, we all lived in about 3 layers of clothing, hats, gloves and complained about our frozen, drippy noses.

Now it might be only my family, but none of us were enamored with the beauty of Mexico when the heat was not only in the triple digits, but you could literally see the heat rising and making waves in your vision. Again, think really cranky.

I have absolutely no complaints about any of the 3 trips to Hawaii or the Caribbean. Safe to say, if for some reason the myth about California falling into the ocean happened tomorrow, my husband has already been told to get us a canoe and oars and MapQuest either area. I’m not willing to live without a tub and a toilet, but other than that either destination will be fine with me.

I’ve seen the homes available on House Hunters International and I’m sure I could find and live in at least one on any of the islands.
Lately, the old homestead here has been quite the puzzlement weather-wise. Last Monday and Tuesday, it was in the triple digits. I was wearing my “cruise” attire to walk up to our local bagel place to meet a friend for breakfast-the jogging shorts and “self-contained” racing top and walkers. However, by Tuesday evening-it was gray and overcast and I could have sworn I felt a rain drop hit my head.

In California this means we had just had a horrible storm and it made the top story on the evening news.
Wednesday and Thursday was windy, gray, damp and miserable. Being arthritic, I walked like Gumby, kept saying “ow” as if it was my mantra and just wished the week could just be over.

By mid-week, it was in the low 70’s, nice pleasant breeze and sunny.

We’ve all been quite matter-of-fact about the weather-we’re sounding like Texans, from what a former native of that state told me-she said their saying is “If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”.

Seems everyone around me started using that phrase back in December when we were having a heat wave-my sister even warmed up the water in her pool, figuring “hey, why not?”

What I’m trying to say is-weather is not just a state of mind, but what’s in our mind makes us decide just what the weather means to us.

Comments:
Exactly, Carine. The weather cannot affect your mood, and it's just a matter of breifly changing clothes :)
 
especially lately annie!
 
I had no idea you were so well traveled. I've been to Key West, but not to Alaska, Hawaii or into Mexico any farther than Tuijuana. Too bad I'd have to fly to get to those places.

The weather was beautiful today here in Michigan. That's a rarity though. I often say that we have no spring or fall anymore. The temperatures go from freezing to hot and muggy overnight.
 
lately, the same could be said here Dave. We had a great dinner outdoors yesterday. Today, no way. It was muggy this morning-I did my power walk at 10 and by 11 when I came back I was drenched.

I have done just a bit of travelling. Didn't go further than Las Vegas until college though.
 
Happy upcoming Mother's Day to you, Carine !
Hope that you are feeling better.
Can you believe this heat - ugh !
But my roses love it...
 
thank you Annie-yes, the roses are beautiful! I'm doing much better and have been diligently working on my walking since I left the "day job"-I'm doing pretty darn well and no longer look like a drunken sailor! LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?